Twitch has recently added a new feature where viewers can type a Hype Chat on a streamer’s chat and their message will be pinned at the top of the chatbox allowing them to get better recognition for a longer period of time.

Twitch Hype Chat

In terms of donations, Twitch Hype Chat works the same as bits and subscriptions as Hype Chat messages cost USD 1 to USD 500 where a good percentage goes to the streamer. Continue reading to find out everything you need to know about the new Twitch Hype Chat.

What is Twitch Hype Chat and How Does it Work?

You might have experienced that some streamers with a very huge following, their chatbox runs super fast as thousands of people keep typing messages. In such situations, there are very rare chances that your message will be recognized by the streamer.

To overcome this, Twitch has come up with the Twitch Hype Chat allowing the viewers to spend money on their chats, and in return, their message will be pinned at the top of the chat which will help them stand out in the chat.

Do Streamers Earn from Twitch Hype Chat

The message duration and the character count depend on the amount of money the user spends on a Hype Chat ranging between $1 to $500. Although, the streamer can set up a minimum amount to use Hype Chat on their stream up to $100.

There are various visual design options available for a Hype Chat and they depend on the amount you are willing to spend on it. The better the Hype Chat visual designs, the more they cost.

Who is Eligible for Twitch Hype Chat?

The Twitch Hype Chat is still in the experimental stage and it is only available for Twitch partners. According to Twitch, they might change the accessibility of this feature in the near future but as for now, even the Twitch affiliate channels cannot access this feature.

How to Use Twitch Hype Chat?

Follow the simple steps given below to use Twitch Hype Chat.

How to Use Twitch Hype Chat
  • Look for the thunderbolt icon on the chat box and click on it.
  • This will launch the Twitch Hype Chat.
  • Choose the amount you are willing to spend, explore the visual designs you can use within that amount, and select it.
  • Complete the purchase using your local currency.

Once you go through these steps, your Hype Chat will be pinned at the top of the streamer’s chatbox but make sure you are planning to buy a Twitch Hype Chat on a partner channel.

Do Streamers Earn from Twitch Hype Chat?

Yes, just like bits and subs. Hype Chat is another feature you can use on a streamer chat to help them make money. Most viewers will be purchasing Twitch Hype chat in their local currency depending on their region.

Twitch has set up the revenue ratio as 70/30, where the streamer would earn 70% of the total spending and the rest of the 30% will go to Twitch.

Twitch Hype Chat does not only focus on generating revenue but it also focuses on helping the viewers get featured on the stream. The streamers in most cases will read their messages out loud unless they break chat rules which will help them make a name for themselves within a community by getting recognized.

Twitch Hype Chat Rules

To keep the platform safe and secure, Twitch has kept the streamers’ safety into consideration. Below are a few rules to use Twitch Hype Chat.

Twitch Hype Chat Rules
  • Users will not be able to use prohibited words and phrases which are banned by the channel owner or Twitch itself.
  • Users who are muted or banned from the channel chat will not be able to use Twitch Hype Chat.
  • Any message that violates the Twitch policies, will be declined automatically by Twitch AutoMod.
  • Streamers get complete access to unpin or remove a Hype Chat from their stream if they find it inappropriate and unacceptable.

Always consider these points whenever you plan to use Twitch Hype Chat to ensure everyone’s safety on the platform.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do you purchase Twitch Hype Chat with bits?

No, they are both completely different products used to support a streamer. You do not buy Twitch Hype Chat with bits, you can use local currency to purchase Twitch Hype Chat.

Are Twitch Hype Chats refundable?

No, you cannot get a refund once you have already spent a Twitch Hype Chat.

Can Twitch Affiliate Channels use Twitch Hype Chat?

No, Twitch Hype Chat is only available for Twitch partners for now but things might change in the future as it is still in the experimental stages.


Twitch Hype Chat does not only get the viewers special recognition but also helps the streamers generate funds from their stream which does not only motivate them but also help them improve the quality of their content.

In a nutshell, Twitch Hype Chat can help you stand out from the crowd if it is used responsibly. Make sure you never spam with a Hype Chat and only use it to provide valuable experience for the streamer as well as other viewers.