Twitch is a great platform for streamers and comes with amazing earning potential but it also comes with a negative in the sense that some users start abusing the service and take to harass or intimidate the privacy of other users. In such a case, it is important to know how to block someone on Twitch so that you can quickly and easily block unwanted elements from your account in order to keep your privacy and safety intact.
How to Block Someone on Twitch?
Since this article is about blocking someone on Twitch, let me walk you through some of the different ways to do so:
Block in the Chat
One of the first ways you do so is by blocking in the chat. Here are the steps that can help you do so:
- First of all, you need to login to your Twitch account and go to the chat section.
- Now, that you are in the chat, find and click on the username of the person who you want to block.
- You will notice a gear icon just next to the cross sign at the bottom of the interface where you can open a chatbox.
- All that you need to do is click on this gear icon and select block.
- As soon as you do that, a confirmation window will appear. Now, you check the description and hit block again to confirm.
Block by Username Search
In the event that you are not able to find the person that you want to block in the chat section, you can look for him using the search feature. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Twitch and type the name of the user in the search bar and click on his profile.
- Again, you should notice a gear icon just next to the cross sign at the bottom right of the interface where you can open the chatbox.
- Click on it and check the user option in the drop-down menu.
- Click on Block and confirm.
Block Someone on Twitch on a Mobile
This procedure for you to block someone on Twitch while you are on your mobile phone.
Here are the steps that you need to take:
- Launch Twitch mobile application from your Android or Apple device
- Find out the user that you want to block in the chat section that appears at the bottom
- Click on the user chat thread and you will notice a setting icon.
- Click on this setting icon to block the user.
Block Whispers from Strangers
Let me begin this by defining who a stranger is. In simple words, a stranger is someone who has not been friends with you on this platform or someone who is not followed by you on Twitch before.
Though most social media apps do not allow you to block strangers, you get this facility in Twitch so that you can block their unwanted texts or whispers.
Here are the steps that you need to take in order to do so:
- Open the Twitch app
- Now, click on the Profile avatar and go to Account settings.
- The next step is to tap on Security & Privacy
- Once you are in Security & Privacy, scroll down and turn the slider on for Block Whispers From Strangers.
This will instantly block any whispers or unwanted texts from strangers and will remain so until you permit them.
Block a Streamer on Twitch
Twitch is a platform that tries to come heavy on people who post objectionable content and you can deal with them by blocking them. In other words, you can so NO to online harassment.
Here’s how you block someone who has been harassing you:
- Login to your Twitch account and go to live streaming
- Once you have done that, you can proceed to find and click on the username of the person that you want to block.
- Now, from the pop-up menu, hit the 3 dot icon
- After you have done that, tap on the first option to Block the user
- As you do so, a confirmation window will appear on your screen, check out the description given and hit block again.
This should block such a user forever.
Block Followers on Twitch
Twitch also allows you to block a follower from watching your stream if you wish so. Here are the steps that you need to take to do so:
- First of all, go to the follower that you want to remove from your channel
- Click on the username from the pop-up menu and click on the 3-dot icon.
- Now, you need to tap on the first option to Block this user.
- As you do so, a confirmation window will appear on the screen. Read the description and tap on Block again.
Block Twitch Channels
Twitch may also show you content from channels that you are simply not interested in and one of the best ways to avoid this from happening is to block such channels.
Here’s how you do it:
- Navigate to the live stream from the channel that you want to block
- Now, tap on the 3-dot icon
- As you do so, select “I am not interested in this recommendation.”
This should block this channel and content from this channel should not show up for you.
What Happens When You Block Someone on Twitch?
I have listed some of the ways to block someone on Twitch above, but you must be interested in knowing as to what happens when you block someone on this platform.
When you block someone on Twitch:
- He is removed from the list of your followers
- This means the blocked person cannot follow you anymore.
- It also means that you will not find him in your friend list.
In other words, the blocked person will simply vanish from your chat window and therefore:
- You won’t have to worry about getting whispers from him
- This person will not be able to host you
- Blocking will also prevent such persons from acquiring gift subscribers for other channel users
- Lastly, their messages from chats will be removed.
How to Unblock Someone on Twitch?
Now, that you are aware of how to block someone on Twitch, it is equally important to find out how to unblock someone.
Here are the steps to unblock someone on Twitch:
- Launch the Twitch app and tap on your profile avatar
- Select Settings and go to Security & Privacy tab
- Scroll down to find Blocked Users. Now go to Show Blocked Users that will display a list of all blocked users
- From the list of blocked users, select the one that you want to unblock and click on Unblock icon
This is what you need to unblock a person. After you have done so, you should be able to view your channel and chat with you again too. In other words, his messages should appear in your stream and you should be able to communicate with him.
How to Know If You Are Blocked on Twitch?
In case, you want to find out if you have been blocked on Twitch, there are a couple of things that you can do to ascertain that you have really been blocked.
In order to do so, the first thing that you need to do is visit the user’s channel that you feel has blocked you and if you cannot find its profile, you have certainly been blocked.
Here are a couple of other things to confirm that you have been blocked:
- Try whispering or initiating a message
- You might also not see other users chatting
- You might also notice the lack of option for you to host or request a friendship
- Lastly, you may also not be able to purchase gift subscribers.
How to See Who You Have Blocked on Twitch
In order to check the list of users that you have blocked on Twitch, you need to take the following steps:
- Go to Twitch.tv in a new tab
- Now, tap on the Profile avatar to visit the Settings
- Now, the next thing that you need to do is to tap on Security and Privacy tab in the main menu
- Scroll down till you see the Blocked Users.
- In this section, tap on Show Blocked Users and it will display the list of all users that you have blocked on Twitch.
How to Restrict Twitch on Your Kid’s Phone?
Even though you can use the blocking feature in order to prevent your kid’s privacy from creeps and other users that might post objectionable content, you can also use AirDroid Parental Control to prevent this from happening.
This is a parental control that comes with a lot of supervision features that track and restrict access to social apps on your kid’s phone with Twitch being one of such apps.
Not just this, you can also set the time limit that your child can spend while streaming, gaming or interacting on Twitch. Moreover, you can also keep a tab on his chats with other users. Over and above, you also get an alert when your child tries to access an app that he/she is not supposed to.
Here’s how to make it work on your device:
- Install AirDroid Parental Control App on your device
- As soon as you do so, you should be directed to the sign up page. Thus, you need to sign up by creating an account and log in to the app.
- Now, Get AirDroid Kids and install it on the target device or the device that your kid uses. Install AirDroid Kinds and pair the device with your device through a pairing code.
- Set up the necessary settings on the phone after installing this app and you should have effective control over the content that your kid watches.
Blocking certain users on Twitch becomes necessary at times and I am sure if you want to block someone on Twitch, you can easily do so after going through the article above.